Wet Basement Solutions for Long Island home and property Owners
Many Long Island home and property owners experience a wet or damp basement after a heavy rainfall and there are many economical solutions to prevent this. Based upon our experiences, I recommend the following prevention tips:
- Clean all gutters and leaders 2 – 3 times per year. Especially after all the leaves have fallen.
- Connect all gutters and leaders to dry wells and piping systems to direct water away from the foundation of the building. If you do not have a drywell, then pipe water away to a low point or at least 10′ from foundation.
- Clean all leaves and debris from window wells. Cover the well, check frequently and clean often.
- Install catch basins and drains near the home to remove surface water and divert.
- Install French drains to divert water away from home, patios, and walkways.
- Regrade soil in yard and next to foundation so that soil pitches away from building.
- Repair all cracks in basement walls with quality cement.
- Install a water sensor and alarm in basement or crawl space to notify you of any water.
- Coat walls of basement with special paint–sealant.
- Install a French drain with sump pump in the floor of your basement.
- Have your cellar and crawl space checked for mold.
Keeping your Long Island basement and crawl space free of moisture is important to maintaining a clean and healthy home. The air in your basement space does rise into your living space and will affect your health. Much has been written and documented on the importance of a dry basement.
A dry basement will help you maintain the value of your home. For more information on how Rain Rich can be of assistance or to schedule a free evaluation please call (631) 423-2211 or you may also contact us via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.