All of us are looking for ways that we can save on energy costs! Saving energy at home is easy, here are some simple, low cost energy savings ideas.
- Insulate your attic to R38 if it is currently less than R19.
- Caulk all of your windows, doors and anywhere that air can leak in and or out. Electrical switches and electrical outlets on outside walls of home are most susceptible. There are companies that make precut insulation just for switches and outlets.
- Wrap all heating duct work with duct tape.
- Wrap all copper plumbing pipes with insulating pipe foam.
- Install or change out shower heads to water saving shower heads.
- Set your thermostat to 68 degrees or less. It is estimated that there is an approximate 5% increase in heating cost for each 1° above 68° that the thermostat is set for.
- Use a humidifier to put 20% – 40% moisture in the air. Moisture in the air will make you feel warmer and allow you to reduce the temperature on your thermostat.
- Use compact fluorescent bulbs in place of incandescent bulbs. CFL’s use only 20% of the electricity that a normal incandescent bulb uses.
- Use timers to turn lights on and off or sensors for when you enter and leave a room.
- Use low voltage lights or LED lights for outside landscape lighting. These lights use 1/3 the electricity that normal lights use.
- Clean and replace furnace filters often. Clog filters reduce efficiency.
- Switch to gas energy if you can as the cost is much less and worth the expense then purchasing other forms of energy. For example electric and oil.
- Wash only full loads in the dishwasher.
- Keep your freezer full – it uses less energy than an empty one. For maximum savings, consider filling your freezer with gallon containers of water.
- Wash only full loads in the washing machine and rinse with cold water only.
- Keep window shades up during the day and let the sun shine in to warm up the home.
- Close the damper on your fireplace and or wood burning stove when not in use.
- Purchase equipment that has the Energy Star! Visit Energy Star to learn more.
- Plug electronics into a power strip, then turn the strip off when not in use to save in energy costs.
- Set your computer to sleep/hibernate instead of using a screen saver so it uses less electricity during periods of inactivity.
Have a professional come to your home and provide you with an energy audit. Audits are a great way to target specific areas that are costing you money. If you need help with any of the above items, please call us at (631)-423-2211. You may also email us at email@example.com.
Rain Rich Sprinklers has been serving Long Island for 30 years and prides itself on providing outstanding service and the best value.
Rain Rich ~Creating Rain For Life~
Reminder: We are less than 35 days until the first official day of spring!