Smart Irrigation Controllers
Smart Irrigation Controllers tailor watering schedules and run times automatically to meet specific landscape needs for your Long Island home or property, improving outdoor water use efficiencies. Smart controllers use sensors and weather information to manage watering times and frequency. As environmental conditions vary, the controller increases or decreases irrigation run times. Smart controllers have the ability to turn off your sprinklers automatically during rain, high wind or low temperature.
• Save money by reducing runoff and eliminating waterlogged gardens.
• Convenience – smart control technology allows faster and more efficient landscaping management.
• Improved landscape appearance and health. Applying the proper amount of water improves landscape quality and makes your plants more durable.
• Consistently applying the proper amount of water to a zone often reveals installation, design and distribution uniformity problems that may have been masked by excess application in the past.
Smart controllers use historical weather data, sensors or both to automatically increase or decrease your sprinkler run time. Here are some examples of smart irrigation systems used in the golf course, commercial, and residential landscapes:
1. On site weather stations. There are now many different types of local land based weather stations that collect data such as temperature, wind speed, solar radiation, and humidity. This information is entered into a computer connected to the controller that will determine system run times.
2. Off site weather data collected from nearby golf course weather stations, farms, and airports are transmitted to Smart Irrigation Controllers by, internet or phone connection.
3. Historical data systems. Based upon past history we can program past weather performance for a given area into the controller and the controller will automatically establish a water program for your property. It is as simple as inputting your zip code.
4. On site sensors. These include rain, moisture, solar radiation, and temperature. Collecting this data and inputting this information into your Smart Controller can automatically increase or decrease your sprinkler run times. During rainy periods or very cold temperatures it will shut your system off.
All of these systems have proven to save water. All the major sprinkler manufacturers such as Hunter, Rainbird, Toro, Irritrol, Netafim, and K-Rain are manufacturing smart irrigation technology. The key to having this perform properly will depend upon optimal irrigation design and hydraulics along with an understanding and input knowledge of onsite soil profile and plants. Proper programming of the Smart Irrigation Controller is vital to having smart technology work.
If you have an older controller and would like to update it to a smart controller please click here or call 631-423-2211.