If you feel your electric bills are high, here is a list of items you can do to reduce your costs, manage your electric bill and help conserve energy at the same time.
Your Water Heater:
- Lower your thermostat just one degree. This easy step can save as much as 10% of your heating bill.
- Insulate your hot water supply pipes to reduce heat loss.
- Take showers, not baths and you will save 10 gallons.
In The Kitchen:
- Keep your refrigerator at 37°- 40° F and your freezer at 5°F.
- Vacuum the condenser coils about every three months.
- Wash only full loads of dishes.
In The Laundry Room:
- Set the washing machine temperature to cold or warm and the rinse temperature to cold.
- Clean the lint filter after each use, this will help your clothing dry faster.
Lighting in Your Home:
- Invest in energy-saving LED Lights for indoor and outdoor use.
- Install dimmer switches and three-way bulbs. They use less energy.
- Desktop computers
- Laptop computers
- DVD players and VCRs
- Cable TV boxes
- Cordless phones
- Stereos and radios
- iPods and electronic gadgets sapping energy from a plug-in transformer
- Outdoor/Landscape Lighting
DVR and alarm clock should stay plugged in so that your settings are not lost. For more energy savings tips, please visit PSEG .